Stuff I like...

I listed qualities I like. Now I'll list stuff I like. Usually, they give me a feeling, remind me of someone, something, or a place in time:

Quilts. It's my new thing. I like what they represent. Warmth, security, love, hard work. Those old American values. My great grandma has a quilt in a museum in Texas. It has Noah's Ark in the middle, and then it is surrounded by doves with olive leaves. One dove is facing the opposite direction from the others. The reason for this is because they believed that only God is perfect, so they would intentionally make a mistake in every quilt they made. The fun part in going to the museum is trying to find the mistake in each quilt.

Candles. Again, it reminds me of warmth and comfort. I love the aromas.

Saddles. The smell reminds me of horseback riding days. Taking Glow Girl into town, tying her off at the local store, drinking a Dr. Pepper to cool off, walking through creeks, dodging quail and snakes. Getting home and washing her, brushing her down, giving her sweet feed and hay. Great days.

Good books. I love books. Period. Timothy's class is studying about disabilities right now. I remember going around the corner from our house in California and checking out any book I could find on Helen Keller. She fascinated me. Or reading tall tales about Paul Bunyan. Any horse story I could find. It's so fun to read a book and get pulled into it. Good books are hard to find. There are plenty of books to learn from, but a good story is just fun.

Coffee. I never liked coffee until mom made me a latte on her la-te-da machine. :) So it's her fault that I'm hooked! It's some good stuff.

Music. I like so many kinds of music. Country, pop, classical. I remember laying on the floor in front of the record player with head-phones on, listening to the Chariots of Fire record. Music actually takes you back to a place and time. It has the power to bring back memories, smells, feelings. That's why I feel so strongly about the type of music that is included in my children's memories. I want the music that takes them back to be positive.

A good movie. Either one that takes you away and makes you laugh and cry, or one that makes you think.

An unexpected phone call or email from a friend. Always good, and any time is a good time.

Unexpected boxes are fun, too. ;) Thanks again, Hotchkisses! Update your blog!

Blogs. What a great way to keep in touch long distance.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, that was a walk down memory lane. How sweet. Thanks for the memories. I love the quilt by Mama Shinn, even though it's tattered and frayed; and the saddle aroma made me think of Uncle Charlie; and the la-te-da machine... Are you feeling nostalgic today? Love you and miss you!
Mom
Yeah. It was a rainy, lazy afternoon. :) All I needed was a good thunderstorm! I forgot to list that one.

Love you back!

Stacy

Popular Posts