Christmas dinner

The last time I was able to have Christmas dinner with my family in Texas was in 1997 (I think). It was around the time that bread machines were first coming out and were becoming part of every woman's kitchen. My brother, Steve, decided to get my sister in law, Kay, a bread machine for Christmas. Kay, being a very practical soul, heard about the gift, and determined that he should take it back, since he could buy other much needed appliances for her kitchen for the cost of that bread machine. (For those strangers reading this, a kitchen appliance IS an appropriate gift for a mom with five kids at home!) "Besides," she said, "we will be making so much bread, we'll gain weight like crazy." So, my brother conceded, took the bread machine back and used the money to replace many old kitchen appliances. Kay was thrilled.

Christmas day, we were all sitting around the dinner table, when mom asked Kay to tell about the many fine products that now grace her kitchen. Kay smiled from ear to ear as she listed the new appliances. There was a moment of silence, then Big Dad piped in: "Wow, Kay. All you need now is a bread machine!" I think it took a good ten minutes for us all to settle down after that.

The next Christmas we got Kay a bread machine. Her kitchen is now complete.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's funny cause it's truuue....ha.
Anonymous said…
That's not all of the funny remarks that Tim has made. I sent this one to S & K to jog their memory. LOL!

Mom
Anonymous said…
I can only imagine some of those remarks...:>

Popular Posts