Christopher's Interview with Tim

Christopher had a class assignment to choose a parent to interview. This is what he wrote:

Advice From My Great Dad 9/1/06
By Christopher Hughes

This week I have a very important interview with one (out of two) of the most important people in my life, my Dad! My Dad’s name is Timothy. He was born in Detroit and has had an unbelievably interesting life. After interviewing my Dad I learned that he and I did many of the same things at the same age.

The first thing I asked my dad was, “Dad, what advice can you give me as I grow up?” He said, “To live a life wholly devoted to God; to live purposefully; to be a man of character and integrity; to remember who and whose you are.” And, “Be a good friend.” He also said, “The reasoning behind this advice is so that you can grow to love God, know him better, and to be content in whatever situation you find yourself. You need character and integrity for living your everyday life – in the way you deal with people and situations – always do the right thing… not the popular thing. And you know, the right thing isn’t always the popular thing. And to add one more thing, I would like to mention ethics. As you grow up, and especially when you are grown, you will hear people talk about “business ethics,” “situational ethics,” just all kinds of ethics, but you need to remember that there is only one ethic to live by and that is the Golden Rule – Treat people the way you wish to be treated. I know this is a bit over your head at this point in your life, but we will learn more together along your journey to adulthood.”

Then I asked him what he thinks the purpose of life is. His reply was, “I think most of the people in the world today would say, be happy, be successful… live a good life. But we as Christians know that the purpose of life is to glorify God. When we live our lives through that perspective, everything else falls into place. What I mean by that is when we live a life totally committed to God, we are happier, more satisfied, and we have peace about our lives because we are His children, and He loves His children.”

When I asked my Dad of any good memories that he had when he was little, he said, “Going deer hunting with my Dad in Northern Michigan. It was not always about deer hunting but about time being spent between father and son. But when we did get a deer, that was an added bonus. My best memories of spending time with my dad were these memories.” After this I thanked my Dad, and we all sat down and talked about what life was like when we were young.

*******************************************************************************

I wish I had saved the original that Christopher wrote. There was more of his opinions of his dad, and less interview. It was a cute piece, and it really showed his love and affection for his dad. But as you can see in the interview, like father, like son. :)

Comments

Popular Posts