Anniversary #47


(I love this picture. It's from a family picture, but we were doing silly poses. I love mom and dad's pose!)


Today mom and dad celebrate their 47th wedding anniversary. I love their marriage and the way they represent married life to the rest of us. What I know of mom and dad is of course through the eyes of a child growing up in the home they created for us. They never yelled. Ever. Not at us, not at each other. Any raised voices were usually in the company of relatives watching a football game on TV at a family reunion. I knew dad was in trouble if mom said, "D. Lloyd!" in a stern voice. I don't ever even remember dad being mad at mom. I'm sure it happened, but I don't remember.

What I do remember is their respect for each other, and joy in each other's company. They both love to laugh and enjoy hearing each other's outlook on things. I guess that's why they never yelled. There's no need to when you are heard.

I remember one Christmas in particular. Mom laughed at every gift she opened. Belly laughed. Dad laughed, too. We laughed even though we didn't know what we were laughing at.

One year for mom's birthday, dad went to the local pharmacist and purchased 52 empty pill capsules. Then he typed up 52 individual messages and put them in each capsule. Every week, after Sunday dinner, mom got to open a capsule and see what gift she received that week. One week she would get the beds made for her, the next she wouldn't have to cook or wash dishes.... it was fun to get to see what she got that week. Of course in the midst of it all was her saphire necklace and ring. But her birthday was a year long family affair that year.

Mom and dad have had a love affair that has lasted for 47 + years. It has been fun to be a part of it and a witness to it.

Here's to 47 more years!

Like a milkshake on the moon!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thats so sweet
I love you guys.
Kay

Popular Posts