Glory Days relived...


Sheila at the post game celebration

It looks like the whole town showed up!

Pictures are from "Mick" site at lowdrag.com

It's fun when our kids bring back memories from our high school days. I loved high school, and had a great time. Although I wasn't a star athlete, I did get to hang out with some from the girl's basketball team, my best friend, Sheila, being one of the best players. We went to state playoffs our senior year, and it was a lot of fun watching the team come together and play amazing basketball. State playoffs in Texas is nothing to sneeze at!

So when I heard this week that my little, po-dunk hometown of Liberty Hill won the state championship in football, I was right there with them. I could just imagine what the town looked like: player's numbers written in shoe polish on store windows on main street, purple, white and gold streamers everywhere, including cars, babystrollers, bicycles. I ventured to our alumni website, and found a kind soul who posted pictures of the game, and found a picture of my best friend, Sheila, with tears streaming down her face. Her son was on the team.

In Liberty Hill, football begins to be discussed in the Spring. There are lots of extra "coaches" and "experts" who stand along the sidelines and discuss the game, who should be played, what they would do if they were coach, etc. It's a big deal in a small town. There were 43 in my graduating class in....well, the 80's. We were 2A then. Liberty Hill is 3A now.

Congratulations, Liberty Hill. It would have been fun to be there. Enjoy the victory!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Question. How did you find the pictures? All I could get were the newspaper writeups. Ugh!

Popular Posts