Former Students

I've had more fun connecting with some former students of mine lately. I had one class in particular that was a unique group of kids. They were very close with each other, and they were so easy to teach. I have a lot of fun memories of them in the classroom.

One is graduating from MIT this year. She got a full scholarship. Had to choose between MIT and Yale. She's applying for PHD programs in BioEngineering or something like that. Another is entering into her internship in sports medicine. Another is getting married. They keep me informed of their other classmates as well. Who is still in school, the jobs they have, the things they have done.

*Edit* I've heard from another one, and she is MARRIED, has her degree in political science, and is pursuing teaching. Another one just got married, and is recording a Spanish/Christian album. Did I say I'M OLD?????

It's so fun hearing how they have stayed connected and continue to support each other, even though they have all gone in so many directions. They got together last year around Thanksgiving just to get back in touch.

The best part, though, is remembering the last time I saw them, as gangly 8th graders, so excited to finally start high school. Watching them cry as they left the classroom and boarded the buses, never to grace the halls of the middle school again. Hearing about them and from them as they make their way through high school, the proms, the broken hearts, and then now into adulthood...and they are doing such amazing things.

It's a good payoff. One that teachers don't always get, but the one that keeps us teaching. The payoff is getting to know some amazing young people and being able to say, "I knew them when...."

Comments

Unknown said…
do you remember when theresa rivera fell into the garbage can?
When I think the words Theresa Rivera, that vision of her trying to stand with the trash can on her behiney is the first thing I see! ha!

I'm so glad you found your way here, Tracey! It's wonderful to hear from you and how you are doing. You're doing a good job.

Mrs. H (Sensei Stacy)

Popular Posts