Nick Names

Nick names are something that we use a lot of in our family. It's part of our own little family culture, I think, because I noticed not every family does it. It's fun, though, and it's another thing that brings our family together and adds to the fun memories.

It started with Big Dad. As soon as I found out I was pregnant with our daughter, T became Big Dad. The name Big Dad has been the first of many, but that one is the one that has lasted the longest. It's just him, and to me it brings to mind the protective, strong, hard-working man that I entered into married life with, and the one who has been my partner in this journey of ours.

We've gone through the gammet of names in our family: Ace, Emmers, Toolman, Schmoops, Bubs, San, Little Man. Some of them we still use, some we use on certain occasions (like when Big Dad is trying to get out of trouble!), and I'm sure there will be more to come. Sometimes an event brings one on, like when Christopher took on "Crash" after his bike accident. It was his teacher's idea.

I like to write the present nicknames used on the backs of pictures. It brings more of the memories back, I think, when the kids see pictures with their old nicknames on them.

I love the nicknames we have for each other, and the family atmosphere it creates. They are terms of endearment that I think last a lifetime, and have the ability to bring back a flood of memories with just a few spoken words. I know "Bessie Lou" brings some good memories back for me. It's a wonderful tradition to pass on.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your last two posts have 'bout done me in...stop it!! :>) But, they are precious and have been shared with several. You have a real gift with writing, do you know that?
ARound the world and back!
Mom
carmilevy said…
Thanks for your insightful comment on my blog. You've got me thinking about the airport's role in the traveller's life. When I head back out in a few weeks, I'll have your words seared deeply into my brain.

Thanks for forcing me to take on a new perspective. Your writing compels.
Anonymous said…
Nicknames.... yeah I dont remember who gave me pumpkinhead but it sure doesnt sound sweet..:>
That would be Jeff Price. Then he head butted you.

The sweet part, though, is that now during certain times of the year you have quite a few people thinking of you! ha!
Anonymous said…
How could I forget the head butt when I see him again..;>
Anonymous said…
Stacy, who is this Carmi guy? Do you know him? He's left more than one comment on your blog.

Mom

Popular Posts