Moms

I've been thinking this week about mothers. I usually don't think about mother's day that far in advance, but given that I had a panic attack last week thinking that I missed it, I was able ponder a little longer than usual.

There are so many types of moms out there. I'm always amazed at the different styles that emerge from the same job description. It's as different as the kids we raise, and I'm sure that factors in to the equation.

There is a little bit of our own moms in each of us. For me, there's not enough of her. She cooks better than anyone I know. She is able to juggle ministry, write and run an amazing kids' program, minister to ladies and their families, and run a household with amazing ease. All of this while having a weekly family day in which she serves a roast, and in the evening makes grilled cheese sandwiches for various members of the extended family. She says there's not enough of her mom in her, either. ("I'm no mamaw," is a common statement she makes.) When I was young, my mom made sure our home was our safe haven, our place to be ourselves at a time when the world tended to think all moms should act the same, and when other's felt that because I was a PK I needed to act and be a certain way. She allowed me to play football in the street, even though my piano recital was coming up and I was going to have to wear a long dress, corsage, and a long curly hairdo. She let me wear my red tennis shoes with my dress to church, because I would be playing tag with the other kids. She knew enough to know that I needed to be me.

The result is that I don't feel the pressure to do things the way that other moms do. I'm able to focus on the important things: the spiritual, physical, and emotional well being of my kids. They are able to be themselves, without outside pressure of having to fit into a mold that others may impose upon them because of our position. I can focus on letting our kids learn without the fear of failure. We can talk about things openly, and I can advise them in ways that allow them to learn the importance of kindness, of looking out for others who can't look out for themselves, of learning to be real and true evangelists in every sense of the word: by living what they learn.

I guess there's more of mom in me than I realize.

Like a milkshake on the moon! ;)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes!!, moms are great. We wish them a happy mother's day to all.

I also like piano, which I can play by ear a little. The I can play piano informational page showed me about a nice piano software game on can use to learn the basics.

I wonder how long it will take me to become good at it, specially reading the notes and playing at the same time.
Anonymous said…
Boy, you reminded me of things I had surely forgot. Red tennis shoes? Don't remember those...but I do remember letting you be you. So glad I did, because you're such a great person and a great Mom!
Love you most!
Mom
You know, I saw Ladd Bristow at BBC all those years ago, and HE remembered the tennis shoes. That and I always seemed to be hurt. ha!
Anonymous said…
Now that's funny. Ladd remembered! I don't remember you being hurt. Is that what Ladd remembered? Were you REALLY hurt or pretending? Huh, Huh, Huh?? :>)
Me? Fake? That must be your other daughter! ha! Yeah, Ladd said what he remembered about me was my red tennis shoes and that I was hurt all the time. I could only remember the time I fell when I was putting the bike away in the back yard (after dark) and I scraped my shin really bad. It seemed like I had that one for a long time. It must have been when we were hanging around them so much.

Had a great time in Gao Shung. I'll let you know how it went...

Popular Posts