You know, no matter where you live, or what culture you live in, there are always some similarities that you can hold on to, and it makes your new place more like home. Right now it's typhoon days.

OK, I've never lived in Taiwan before, so I had no idea how bad typhoons could be. Being American, my thought was, unfortunately, "Surely they're weaker than hurricanes in the states!" I'm sure I have been pitied for my ignorance. They're bad.

But as bad as they are, there is still that little bit of excitement that we used to get with snow days in Missouri and in Texas (yes, I said Texas, but that usually meant about an inch of snow). You know, sitting in front of the tv (here it's the radio and listening to ICRT) listening for your school or workplace to be listed in the closing, or everyone waking up and running to the computer to check email...the jumping up and down, going back to bed, kids whining about nothing to do...finding something fun to do... All of the stuff that kids in the states do.

So this weekend a typhoon is coming. We'll be up Monday morning checking email, seeing if we get a typhoon day from school. (We've had one already!)

See? It's not all that different over here!

Kids Summer.mov

Comments

Anonymous said…
You may get this one two times. I forgot to click the log-in and post. Ü WE have been thinking about you this weekend. I checked the website to see how the typhone was developing. Looks like it went around you. That's good. Keep us posted, okay?

Popular Posts